Saturday, May 30, 2009

Whatever happens, happens!

Well, my dearest vehicle tommy the toyota tercel has recently kicked the bucket. A tribute post to him will be coming soon, but this is one just about how I have struggled without him. I wanted to go to the Provo temple this past thursday, but since I do not have a vehicle to get me there, I took my trusty bicycle. I wore jeans while riding there (you can't ride a bike with a skirt very well...) , thinking that there was a bathroom somewhere at that park just south of the temple where I could change into a skirt when I got there.
I got to the MTC, and decided to find a bike rack, and then walk up to where a bathroom was. Welp, the nearest bike rack was at wymount (BYU married housing), and my large orange bicycle stuck out like a monster sitting in the rack surrounded my tiny little tricycles from all the kids at wymount. It was really funny. So, when I got to the park, I circled several buildings looking for a door to a bathroom, but woe is me, there were none. Crud. What was I supposed to do? I couldn't wear jeans into the temple, I had my skirt with me right there in my purse, it was just a matter of finding somewhere to put it on. I thought for a second of just standing in between two cars and doing a quick jean/skirt swap, but I would feel awful if any of these temple going people had their spiritual experiences ruined by catching a glance of some crazy stripping in the parking lot.
I was stumped. I thought about maybe just going back home, but the thought crossed my mind, "I even shaved for this!" I had brought a knee lenght skirt, so I even went the extra mile and shaved before I left. I hate shaving. There was no way that was going to be for nothing. It furthered my determintation. There was no way I was going back home until I had attended the temple. There had to be another way...So I sat on the green electric box pretending to text (there was a couple watching me circle around the park probably thinking I was some terrorist) so as to dispel suspicions of my odd behavior while I thought of a solution. All of a sudden to my eyes appeared this lovely large pine tree just a few feet from me. It looked like this...
I remember learning once that if you crawl underneath the bottom branches there is open space near the trunk. Enough space perhaps to change your pants. I jumped off the green box and crawled on under the bottom branches, and behold! there was space! And no one could see me! I changed into my skirt and then climbed right back out. As I stood back up and started to proceed to the temple now, that I was dressed appropriately, I noticed that same couple sitting with their child a ways away on the grass laughing at me. They saw me go in AND come out. How embarrassing, but I was so proud of myself for thinkin of it. :)
I finally got to go to the temple, and I'll tell ya what, it was better experience because I kinda had to work for it! Ha, I think I appreciated being there more because It was so much trickier getting there than normal! Luckily I found some lovely friends inside who let me change in their car afterwards. It was a great evening at the Provo Temple. Ha, what a funny day. :)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your funny experience with us. It made me think of Superman. In the phone booth looking one way coming out another. hehe. You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kellie! you rock :) I am now following your blog! Your commitment is astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellie, you are amazing! Way to go, putting in so much effort to visit the temple. You're such a good example. Thanks for being so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story to share! You are my hero, Kellie! I'm glad I found your blog tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love Kellie - everything about you! I love your dedication, I love your tenacity, and I love your awesome retelling of stories. You have mad skills that are really going to pay off big for you someday. I can't wait to see the end results so keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete