Saturday, August 22, 2009

Advice to Myself


I was reading through my old journal today, and besides noticing how dramatic I was and how much I liked boys, I was really impressed with some of the things I wrote. It is from April of my junior year, to last Christmas. So basically it covers the last year of high school on. Yes, I have funny stories and memories and such, but there was lots of like "advice" I gave myself, goals, thoughts that would come to mind about how to be better, or quotes I had come across and liked. It was good for me to read and remind myself of who I want to be, and what I have to do to get there. So, here is some advice, from me...to me. But I suppose you could take it too if you'd like. :)

Be too happy to permit troubles, and too noble for anger. Have a sense of humor. Live the gospel and all else will fall into place. Faith includes believing in his timing. Be IN the gospel- live in it, work in it, play in it, grow in it. Don't sweat the small stuff, and most of it is small stuff. Be confident about being solo, you don't have to follow others trends-confidence is everything. As long as I know I'm doing what's right I can be confident. Bring out the best in others-we all make mistakes, so who am I to judge? Be a builder and a light. You have no right to ever tear anyone else down. EVER. You cannot take another persons agency, or you are trying to fulfill Heavenly Father's plans satan's way. Let your passions shape you into the unique person you will be. Our motives need to be in the right place when we do good things, pay attention to your intentions. Let yourself be polished by the waves that will come crashing down-not if they come, but when. What is stopping you from being the YOU you want to be? Don't worry about tomorrow, live in today. Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday, so make it good. Don't let the world squash your enthusiam. You squish their bleakness with your spunk. Sometimes, its ok to quit, and sometimes, it's just not. Keep going with faith.
My personal favorite:
Maybe the things I worry about and fear aren't worth fretting over. Don't you think that if you are doing everything you are supposed to be doing that He is in control and He will take care of it? take care of you? In His own timing perhaps, but nonetheless things would be OK? Yes. I do believe He would.

Um, alright I have been rebuked. By myself. I think it's time for me to take my own advice and become better! I totally know what I need to do, sometimes I just forget, or get distracted by the things the world tells you will make you successful. I guess my idea of successful is different than theirs. But I like mine better. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading through old journals. Yours sounds helpful and fun. Rachel and I used to read our old journals to each other. My favorite is from high school when rachel wrote about me, "Does she even HAVE any standards!?" Old journals are the best. and you give the best advice.

    ReplyDelete