Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The first two weeks of school have dominated my time...

My classes are great. I struggle with the really long ones, well I would probably die from the really long ones (which is all but one) if they weren’t so engaging. I really like that the teachers make them involved. We do some really fun stuff, but some of them are also kind of really hard! I’m not very good at all the psychology of learning stuff, and that’s what most of them are, but I’m catchin on. It will just take some time. And I like how the fun things actually tie in to what we’re learning-I feel like most assignments are really useful, which is great because I hate busywork.
Like for dance, I have learned 40 of the correct terms for “dance”, and used these terms and motions at the last White house dance party. My roommates know exactly what it means and looks like to use each part of Body-motion-energy-space-time cause they’ve seen it multiple times in our livingroom.  I can’t help it if I’m a really great dancer.
For art yesterday we made a life size human being out of packaging tape. I get to take it home next week to take pictures with it. I think I’m gonna take it out on a date.
Yep, those are the only dates I go on-ones with tape people. Great. At least it’s the most adorable tape being you’ve ever seen. We also have to keep a sketch book and practice what we’re learning. Last night on my way to bed I noticed brooke was asleep on the couch while reading her homework…so I pulled up a chair and drew her in all her sleepy cuteness. Shh..don’t tell her. She might not be my roommate anymore if she finds out I sketch her while she sleeps. Huh. Maybe that’s why my only dates are tape people….maybe. She also gets to be the one I come home from class to and show all my artwork that I’m so proud of.
For drama we’ve been learning about personality types, and I’ve been making everyone take my personality tests. I found out Cameron Carr is the personality most difficult for me to teach, and he makes sure I don’t forget it. I don’t think he’s called me kellie for a week-it’s now “teacher!!” in an obnoxious whiney voice with his hand raised waving around like a five year old.
For music we sang a song about snails, rattlesnakes, and parasailing. We also read a 20 page article about Public Policy that I barely understood.
Because of health class I have a whole bunch of tally marks on my hands. It’s to mark any lifting comments I make on one hand, and any degrading or put down comment on the other. I have a renewed awareness of how mean of a person I am. I’m working to get the compliments tally higher than the put down tally…
For math I had thirty pages of reading about what goes through a childs mind when faced with a multiplication problem, and what innate counting skills might contribute to their solving it. Ugh, I can’t do psychology, especially psychology of math. That’s def not my favorite. And we’re reading a novel called “The Number Devil.” Just you tell me that YOU have a textbook called “The Number Devil” and I will think you’re major is as much fun as mine.
Hooorah for educating the future masses!

2 comments:

  1. I WANT TO TAKE YOUR PERSONALITY TESTS!!! I just got really excited about them, that's why it's all in caps. Ok, that's all, bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all sound fun! I wish some of that stuff translated more directly to motherhood sometimes, but real life with a drama queen pre-teen and a dramatic teenager is a little more of a crapshoot! Maybe I just need you to come over and consult with me! Maybe I'll start with that tally on the hands thing. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete