Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I kinda feel like there are scrambled eggs in my head.

I know it's annoying when people talk about their spouses lots, but can I tell you some funny things I've learned about Steven Hansen? just as the funny person he is? I love this man.

1. He spends more time in the anatomy lab with dead people than he does with me. that's kinda creepy if you think about it. yikes. but that's science classes for you. and He's a TA. So it makes sense.
2. He wants to name one of our children after a Laker's player. He loves Pau Gasol, and Lamar Odom. But why choose just one? He has decided on LaPau Gasodom Hansen. Ugh. I will veto that one, but thanks to espn for puttin that thought in his head.
3. He has five different deodorants. He claims that his armpits get immune to a certain kind after using it so long. In his words, " I have to keep my armpits guessing! ". He really said that. Ha.
4. We were out of cereal the other day and he told me he'd go buy some. When I got home I saw he had bought cookie crisp and marshmallow mateys. I would have chosen like total or cheerios? but ok, let's eat miniature chocolate chip cookies for a good wholesome breakfast. That won't put us in a sugar coma at all.
5. The other day at 1am we had to drive back up to campus to find his IPOD because it fell out of his pocket. He remembered where it might be because it was a corner where instead of walking on the sidewalk, he jumped over the bushes. Glad he "saved some time" by jumping over those bushes...

He's hilarious. that's why I married this hilarious man. I like the variety that's added to life when you get to be a part of someone else's too. :)


So guess what else? I have been teaching a little bit! I spend every day up in Salt Lake at the cutest elementary school.
I am in second grade, and my class is pretty funny.
So far we have had two, uh, "potty accidents", a tooth get knocked out by another girl's head, and a few kids accidentally wearing clothing items backwards and being really embarrassed when had to tell them and have them go change. We have a little bit of a lot of different cultures in our room, and I think it's kind of fun. There are two twin girls that dress alike every day, A little asian boy who always asks me how to spell things, and this little girl that looks JUST like I did in second grade who tells me almost every day that her birthday is in April.

I have learned far more about how to teach than any class could have taught me. Sometimes that's cruddy learning though cause the mistakes you make are even worse.
Today, my lesson that was supposed to be 20 minutes went for almost an hour. Things just don't go how you planned and sometimes it's just chaos. A lot of the time it's you vs. a class with a bad case of the wiggles and sometimes it feels like the wiggles win. But I have years to go, and to practice before I think I'll ever feel "comfortable" with teaching. You can't just fix what you did wrong in your lesson either! It's so frustrating! Once you've taught that lesson, you can't waste time teaching it again just because now you know how to do it. You have to just be able to apply that new technique you learned to the next lesson you teach. It's a big difference from being able to fix your answers on a test and resubmit it for full credit. It's experience, not paperwork. And it's way harder and more complicated that I thought. It's trying to remember 30 management strategies in your head while trying to follow a lesson plan, answer questions, and try to make sure they're learning-not just that you're throwing facts at their heads. Yikes.
I admire those teachers who do it well. Obviously anyone could be a teacher. Anyone can stand in front of a class and say things from a piece of paper in their hands. But it's incredibly hard to be a GOOD teacher. An EFFECTIVE teacher, and one that the kids will remember as learning from and loving to be in class with. Maybe someday I'll catch on to it.

1 comment:

  1. I love your funny stories of Steve!!! I also commend you for your desire to be a teacher. I can only image how hard it is and will be. You will impact many children for the better!!! Your personality and smile do that with out even trying.

    ReplyDelete