Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The perks of BYU Info

I swear there are fewer frustrating things that trying to help an older person navigate the internet or a website over the phone. Oh wow.

A lady just called to help her daughter log on to Independent Study, and apparently it wasn't working when they tried.

Here's about how it went:

Me: BYU Operator
Lady: Are you like the operator to tell me places are closed now?
M: (it's 7:30pm) Well, most offices are closed, but I may be able to help you. What are you trying to do?
L: I am trying to log on to my daughters myBYU and it won't let me. It says it doesn't exist and I swear she just signed in two weeks ago. She's been taking this class since June.
M: Ok, well is it for an Independent Study class? (anytime it's a call where someone is frustrated about their class, test, or that they can't get access to their class they are usually talking about independent study)
L: No, she's taking some math classes. It's for a high school program.
M: (yep, Independent study). Well their office is closed right now, but I can try to help you. What website are you on right now?
L: It says myBYU, Brigham Young University. But it won't let me in. (yelling next to the phone) LAUREN! com'ere! come tell this lady what's your class thing.
M: Ok are you at the independent study website?
L: I'm just on the home page. It says brigham young university. but it won't let me log on.
M: Ok, try going to is.byu.edu (the independent study website)
L: where is that? What did you say? I don't know what you're talking about.
M: The address bar. It's up at the top
L: what? Do I log in? Where are you at?I'm on byu's page.
M: Where the website address is. Up at the top. You need to try this other website.
L: So do I not go to mybyu.education.edu (Ok, this is totally not even a real website, I have no idea where she was getting this from) They told us to go to mbyu.edu.education (she switched it this time...) I thought that's where I'm supposed to go.
M: Well if that's not working for you, I think this different website might help. It's a different website, So you have to type in the URL bar "is (pause) .byu (pause). edu"
L: Where are you looking? I'm trying to log on to my daughters class. (yelling) LAUREN!!! what's your ID for your class? It just says BYU.
M: Ok, do you see at the top, the long white bar that probably has "http://byu.edu" in it?
L: Um, ya, like http:? I, hold on, this thing is too dark, (to the side) Lauren, how to do I make it so I can see it? (me wondering if she is doing this on an iphone or something?)
M: Ok so where it says http://byu.edu- that is the address bar.
L:ok so I take it off?
M: yes, you need to delete it.
L: ok, so I have the https://
M: no you have to delete all of it
L: all of it, the whole line?
M: yes. So delete it and type "I" "S"....(waiting)..
L: i.........s...............
M: Ok, so IS.BYU.......
L: ......ok.
M: .edu
L: Ok, I got it. and it has her name on it?
M: That means that you are logged in, so go ahead and click on the "mycourses" link, and it should show the classes she is registered for.
L: courses,courses, ok, oh there's her classes! How come it didn't work before?
Me: Perhaps you were on the wrong website? I would use this one from now on.
L: But they told us to use the byu.education.edu? I'm supposed to use that one
M: Well since that one wasn't working for you, and this one is, I think it would be more helpful to just use is.byu.edu.
L: well I'm gonna have to give them a call next week and see what's going on.
M: well they'll be open on monday morning at 7am. (in my head: I know what's going on! your going to a website that doesn't exist! use this one woman! is.byu.edu! that's all there is to it! sheesh.)
L: ok well thank you. have a good night
M: your welcome, you too!


wow. some people struggle with technology. and listening.

2 comments:

  1. That is hilarious! I hope I never get that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellie, thank you for sharing stuff like that because we all need a huge laugh sometimes. Bless your soul for being so patient...and not laughing out loud. My lands!

    BTW, did your mom ever find out that she is right and we are having a girl???

    ReplyDelete